Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Anniversary of an Arrival

People celebrate the immediate aftermath of Christmas in different ways. Some folks get up at the butt-crack of dawn to revisit the shopping frenzy of the day after Thanksgiving. Some enjoy extended holidays by meeting up with extra-familial others for fellowship. Still others turn thoughts to the New Year that's soon to arrive, plotting parties and lists of resolutions. There are any number of combinations of these and other activities that can occupy the day after Christmas (known as Boxing Day in certain "civilized countries" where football really is played with the feet).

None of these things are in the offing at our house. No, we have a different way of doing things on 26 December. You see, it's elder daughter's birthday, and therefore warrants its own special considerations. There's another whole story that goes along with our precious Kymber Cathleen's entrance to the world, and I won't bore you with that (at least not now), but this seems an appropriate time and place to celebrate her.

She was born at 9:45 PM CST on Tuesday 26 December 1995, and was named for two women who were among my closest friends at the time. It was felt that a name both special and unique was crucial for this little creature, something that could be cutesy for a small child yet that could be modified to reflect growing maturity and independence as time marched on. Therefore, Kimberly Ann and Kathryn Anne were tailored to become Kymber Cathleen, and we decided to call her Kaci (her initials, adapted, so as not to offend either of my two friends by calling her the other one's name).

I don't have any of her baby pictures scanned to put in here, but trust me when I say that she was a most beautiful wee lass, always smiling and giggling and laughing. She exhibited an amazing grasp of language and communications skills even from being quite small, and has always been a warm and loving being with a seemingly endless supply of hugs for giving away. She accepts others for what they are ... she's tolerant (and even embracing) of the wide and various differences between people ... she loves unconditionally. Besides that, she's a voracious reader, a straight-A student, and a true beauty. Heck, the only real gripe I have with the kid is that she's only shorter than I am by about an inch, and I expect to be looking up at her when I start laying down the law about what time she'll come in once she starts driving or (gasp, shudder) dating!

Her idea of the perfect birthday has changed over time. It used to be that we needed a party with her friends and gifts and cake and such. Today, however, it's a smaller event: we will fetch one of her friends and go out for a fru-fru girlie lunch, then hit the day spa for pampering (massages, facials, manicures, pedicures, makeup, and hair up-do for the little darlings ... with a massage also for me ... who says there aren't perks?). This evening, we'll meet up with said friend's family at Shogun, a Japanese hibachi restaurant, for dinner and cake.

So, then, here are some proud-mommy photos of our darling Kymber Cathleen on the occasion of her eleventh birthday.



K.C. as a cheerleader on Halloween
(with Kieran as a Power Ranger and Kendall as *the* Princess)

K.C. at her first game as a cheerleader


K.C. up to bat


K.C. holding Isabella, a friend's daughter

K.C. this morning, still in her jammies

What lucky people we truly are to know this delightful individual. Thank you, my sweet monkey-angel, for being all of the things that you are. I love you!

2 comments:

AvengingAngle said...

I've been going crazy trying to figure out who K.C. reminds me of in the picture of her with the baby. It finally dawned on me that in 2000, I began watching "Days of Our Lives" with Mom as a bonding ritual. Nadia Bjorlin was on it then and K.C. looks so much like her when she was playing Chloe. :-) I can sleep again now that I solved *that* problem for me.

AvengingAngle said...

Oops, I forgot, you don't know me under this screen name, but I succumbed thanks to you and Mary. Primarily just to keep up with your blogs, but I ruined it by giving my opinion of white supremists.

~Lisa with the big mouth