Thursday, November 30, 2006

It's Snow Fun ... Volume II

Note to self: next time Gary England says that Oklahoma City's going to get five to ten inches of snow, BELIEVE THE GUY and get yourself to the grocery store before it happens. Otherwise, you're just begging for a trip out in this ...


Honestly, I've never been so glad to own a gas-guzzling ozone-killing road-hogging three-ton sport utility vehicle (sorry, Helen). Forget that gas is $2.09 per gallon here (and believe me, I pitched a hissy like no other the minute it got past $1.25 ... it was 89 cents a gallon when I got a driver's license, and I truly believe that anything much past a buck is a total mockery in a state where we grow the stuff). Forget that our fine city has something like three snowplows and six salt-and-sand trucks for all 800+ square miles. Forget even that I'd been quite nonchalant in not bothering to go yesterday ... bloody hell, the Marlboro stash was gone, and I had to go!! Sigh.

It was a most harrowing trip in super-slow-motion down the Lake Hefner Parkway and across the Britton Road overpass to the Albertson's. Some twit was rightuponmytail for at least three miles on the Parkway, and only decided to sod off and go around me when I kept tapping my brakes. Once I got there, though, it wasn't bad ... not counting the four people working at Albertson's, I was one of three people in the whole place!

(Further note to self: get some of that quit-smoking prescription stuff and some Nicorette gum ... SOON.)

No comments: