Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Perspective.

So today I get this email from my friend John in Kentucky. It's really rather awe-inspiring. Well, you know how I like to inspire awe (or pass along stuff that inspires awe, if I wasn't clever enough to come up with it myself, ha), so I've popped it in here. I apologize if the pictures are a bit small here, but you should be able to click on them to enlarge them. Hope you enjoy it.


We think Earth is a pretty big place.
In our part of the solar system, it is.
But when compared to some other parts, it isn't.
When you pop in our life-giving Sun, it's even less so.
Beyond our Sun, the universe gets even bigger. Antares is the 15th brightest star in the sky.
It is more than 1000 light-years away. NOW how big are we?

It gets better ...

This is a Hubble Telescope Ultra-Deep Field infrared view of countless galaxies that are all billions of light-years away from Earth. This is a close-up of one of the darkest regions of the photo above.
Humbling, isn't it?

NOW how big are we?

How big are the things that are upsetting you today?

KEEP LIFE IN PERSPECTIVE.



No comments: